Why Does Cilantro Taste Like Soap to Some People?
So, I don't even know cilantro tastes like soap is a thing. But how fascinating?! Do any of you think it tastes like soap?

--

The addition of the herb cilantro (or ‘coriander’ in the U.K.) can make or break a meal, taking a dish from a delectable cuisine to a dining disaster in a few bites.

Strangely, some people are adverse to cilantro because they perceive a soapy aftertaste. And, as it turns out, your genetics may play a role in whether you taste that odd flavour or not.

--

From I fucking love science: Why Does Cilantro Taste Like Soap to Some People?

Interesting :O

I'm not sure if I've ever tried the actual herb or not. But I use coriander seeds when making biltong and boerewors and I definitely don't notice any soapy taste Tongue
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life.
But John came fifth and won a toaster.

(06-26-2015, 11:28 AM)Treehealz Wrote:  Interesting :O

I'm not sure if I've ever tried the actual herb or not. But I use coriander seeds when making biltong and boerewors and I definitely don't notice any soapy taste Tongue

A man that knows and makes biltong and boerewors is a man after my own heart.  God bless you!
Arc, If you ever have Mexican food and you get very freshly made salsa and guacamole. It normally would have some cilantro! I love cilantro. Its a little bit like ginger and you add a little bit and it changes the flavour of one dish slightly because it highlights certain Palate.
(07-12-2015, 11:08 AM)Vesiea Wrote:  Arc, If you ever have Mexican food and you get very freshly made salsa and guacamole. It normally would have some cilantro! I love cilantro. Its a little bit like ginger and you add a little bit and it changes the flavour of one dish slightly because it highlights certain Palate.

Ooh interesting - I will have to try some soon. Where can you get it? Normal supermarket?

(07-11-2015, 05:27 PM)Strafe Wrote:  A man that knows and makes biltong and boerewors is a man after my own heart.  God bless you!

My mother is south african so I grew up hearing a lot about the south african cuisine - now I try to recreate as much as I can here in the UK!

Favorite food? Braai (with steak and wors)
Favorite drink? Fanta Grape (I wish they did that in the UK!)
Favorite snack? Biltong
Favorite sauce? Any of the spurs sauces or Mrs Balls Chutney depending on the food
Spices? Robertsons please!

All south african goodies Tongue